Friday, November 4, 2011

Which Kitchen Gadgets Do You Really Need?

It's November and if you are looking to buy some new kitchen appliances it's the perfect time to do so. New models of fridges, ovens, and stoves are coming onto the sales floor, while older models are heavily discounted. Veterans Day weekend and Black Friday of course, are important dates to watch for.

I'm no Martha Stewart, and sometimes when I go into the Home appliances section of a department store I get overwhelmed with immersion blenders, stand blenders, coffee percclators, drip coffee machines, single-serve coffee machines....you get the picture. Every once in a while, I get caught up with the gleaming, chrome, majesty of a kitchen appliance which could make my life so much simpler such as a mango corer or a Belgian waffle maker. Fortunately, my mother often gives me a dope-slap of reality and reminds me that kitchen space is a precious commodity. Besides, do you really need a pineapple corer? How many times do you eat pineapples anyway? (Beware of a circular answer eg: "Well I'd eat them more if I bought this corer..")

Learnvest created a great slideshow with popular kitchen gadgets that details the amount of  times you'd have to use your gadget to have it pay for itself in cooking time-saved. Of course, certain appliances are necessary, such as a blender/food processor, and if your ancestors hail from the Asian continent--a rice cooker!

3 comments:

  1. listen all you needs is a good radio a few pots and pans and some tap shoes and you can Make a wonderful dinner.
    just don't burn those fries!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a new garlic peel should be invented that isn't so complicated and can peel/mince! Peeling and mincing garlic requires fine skills working with small cloves, while you can get away with coarser skills in other techniques such as dicing, slicing, etc..

    ReplyDelete